Sports Business ManagementUCAS CODE
Why study BA(Hons) Sports Business Management at Hartpury:
The legacy of the Olympic and Paralympic Games has increased sports participation and enthusiasm at all levels, creating a demand for effective and efficient sports managers. If you are passionate about sport and want to pursue a career in the expanding sports business management sector of the industry then this is the course for you.
- You will study core business management modules developed in partnership with the prestigious Bristol Business School offering a robust & essential foundation in finance, economics, marketing, people management & strategy
- The course embeds a level 2 certification from the widely recognised Institute of Leadership & Management although there is an additional programme cost for this qualification.
- You will tailor your degree to personal strengths and interests with a further range of sports industry specific options
- You will undertake a work placement during your second year of study, allowing you to gain first-hand experience of the industry as well as invaluable networking opportunities
- Our excellent relationship & partnerships within the industry allow you to engage in ‘live’ projects and experiences throughout your programme of study.
- Our excellent tutor support creates an environment where you will be developed & stretched to fulfil your individual potential. At Hartpury we know you by name!
- Our Sports facilities and opportunities to develop your sport are outstanding, whether at elite level or as a recreational participant.
The Sports Business Management programme can be completed full time in three years; part time routes are available and should be planned with your programme manager.
To help you make the most of your degree at Hartpury we have decided to provide professional related accreditation for exceptional students starting at Hartpury this September. We will commit to paying for an Institute for Leadership and Management qualification as part of one of your first year modules. More information about this can be http://www.hartpury.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/business/ilm-level-2-award-in-leadership-and-team-skills/
Our students have gone on to some fantastic careers in a wide range of industries and enjoyed some exceptional work placements all over the world, helping them open doors to their dream careers.
Five GCSEs at Grade C or above to include English, Mathematics & Science
Tariff points range
280 (typical offer)
A level subjects grades
Two A2s in any subject
Level 3 Extended Diploma subjects grades
DMM in any subject
For the most up to date information on your programme, you can find your course information sheet here
Fees for September 2016 entry
UK / EU students: £9,000
Please contact us to discuss part-time fees
When should I apply
You can apply for September 2016 entry now. Please check the UCAS website for application deadlines.
How to apply
You must apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
Hartpury is an Associate Faculty of the University of the West of England. The Hartpury UCAS code is H22. If you feel that you have accredited prior learning please contact us to discuss your application.
If you want to study this degree on a part-time basis, please apply directly to Hartpury. Contact the Enquiry Line on +44 (0) 1452 702345 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a part-time university application form.
- Personal & Management Development
- Introduction to the Sports Industry
- Sports Facilities Management
- Understanding Business & Financial Information
- Understanding Organisations & People
- Understanding the Market Process
- Work placement
- Event Management & Fundraising
- The Research Process
- Sports Development, Organisations & Governance
- Sports Field Trip
- Accounting Information for Business
- Human Resource Management
- Business Planning / Venture Creation
- Strategic and Project Management
- Sponsorship & Brand Development
- People , Leadership & Change
- Sports Legacy & Impact
- Media, Technology & Communication in sport
Graduate Profile: Huw Darch, Marketing Manager for Dartmouth Golf and Country Club, Devon
What I do
I work at what I class as the top golf course in Devon. The club employs about 80 staff, has a three star hotel, health and leisure facilities and private lodges on site. I originally started in the role looking after large golf group bookings, marketing and selling memberships. This has evolved into promoting corporate memberships to companies and helping out with running the hotel. I have also driven up online bookings; when I first arrived, we were only taking £45 a month and now it’s risen to £2500.
How I got here
I’ve played golf since I was seven and was interested in business. I’d heard of Hartpury and visited an open day. As soon as I saw the campus, I said to my Dad – ‘this could work’. I saw the sports fields and found the perfect course - so everything fitted. My dissertation looked at golf membership and marketing during the credit crisis, so I knew I wanted to get into golf marketing.
About my time at Hartpury
The lecturers are supportive, and even after graduating I contacted them for advice about my career options. Their real life experiences working with teams like England Rugby, Olympics and Athletics GB proved invaluable. I’ve been able to relate all the modules to my day-to-day job - especially the marketing ones. I have also been able to get involved in financial accounts and looking at business trends.
Advice for people who want to work in the industry
Experience is key. After graduation, I hunted out a marketing internship with Macmillan Cancer Support and I was running the world’s biggest coffee morning. I was working for free four days a week, but it was worth it. When I applied to Dartmouth they very openly said that if I didn’t have the Macmillan experience, I wouldn’t have got the job.
course blog postSport
Sisters and former Hartpury students, Mathilda and Charlotte Hodgkins-Byrne, secured gold and silver as the College’s alumni shone on the world stage for Great Britain last weekend.
This course has been designed with extensive consultation with industry professionals and academic experts in the field. Our passionate staff spans business, sports industry practice and active research and can draw on ‘lived’ examples to illustrate key concepts. Our team supplements teaching expertise with key visiting guests & trips to sports venues and events.
Through a stimulating mixture of lectures, seminars, workshops, field trips and work placements, you are equipped with the knowledge and skills for success within the industry.... This course also offers the chance to attain an industry recognised Institute of Leadership and Management Level 2 qualification within this degree – an opportunity unique to Hartpury! Employability from this course is very high. Past students now have careers in a wide range of roles such as:
- Sports Sales & Marketing roles
- Media & Communications
- Sports & Leisure Facility Management
- Sports Business Start up
- Sports Agency
- Governing Bodies – Sport development roles
- Club Captaincy & International Sportsmen/women
- Masters level study