Sports Business ManagementUCAS CODE
Why study FdA Sports Business Management at Hartpury
The legacy of the Olympic and Paralympic Games has increased sports participation and enthusiasm at all levels, creating a demand for sports managers with the skills and understanding to drive the industry forward. If you are passionate about sport and want to develop the skills to become involved in the expanding sports business management sector of the sports industry then this is the course for you. This course also often attracts aspiring sportsmen & women who wish to gain business skills for the future to supplement their sports career
- You will underpin your business knowledge with management modules developed in partnership with the prestigious Bristol Business School offering a robust & essential foundation. Seminar sessions are designed to teach topics in a practical contextual way that supports students who join us from a more vocational study background.
- In the second year you will tailor your study with a range of sports industry specific options.
- You will be supported to acquire and undertake a work placement, allowing you to gain first-hand experience within the industry and build skills relevant to your future aspirations.
- Our excellent relationship & partnerships within the industry allow you to engage in ‘live’ projects and experiences throughout your programme of study.
- Our Sports facilities and opportunities available for you to develop your sport are outstanding, whether at elite level or as a recreational participant.
- Our excellent tutor support creates an environment where FdA students are encouraged and enabled to progress to a full BA(Hons) programme in Sports Business Management on satisfactory completion of their programme, or to enter industry directly.
- The course embeds a level 2 certification from the widely recognised Institute of Leadership & Management although there is an additional programme cost for this qualification.
The Sports Business Management programme can be completed full time in two years; part time routes are available and should be planned with your programme manager.
To help you make the most of your degree at Hartpury we have decided to provide professional related accreditation for exceptional students starting at Hartpury this September. We will commit to paying for an Institute for Leadership and Management qualification as part of one of your first year modules. More information about this can be http://www.hartpury.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/business/ilm-level-2-award-in-leadership-and-team-skills/
Our students have gone on to some fantastic careers in a wide range of industries and enjoyed some exceptional work placements all over the world, helping them open doors to their dream careers.
Five GCSEs at Grade C or above to include English, Mathematics and Science.
Tariff points range
A level subjects grades
Level 3 Extended Diploma subjects grades
For the most up to date information on your programme, you can find your course information sheet here
Fees for September 2016 entry
UK / EU students: £9,000
Please contact us to discuss part-time fees.
When should I apply
You can apply for September 2016 entry now. Please check the UCAS website for application deadlines.
How to apply
You must apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
Hartpury is an Associate Faculty of the University of the West of England. The Hartpury UCAS code is H22. If you feel that you have accredited prior learning please contact us to discuss your application.
If you want to study this degree on a part-time basis, please apply directly to Hartpury. Contact the Enquiry Line on +44 (0) 1452 702345 or email email@example.com to request a part-time university application form.
View the programme specification here
- Core Business Principles
- Introduction to Sports Industry
- Sport Facilities Management
- Personal and Management Development
- Sports Business Experience
- Work Placement
- Sports Events and Fundraising
- Sports Hospitality Management
Jonny May – England and Gloucester Rugby professional player
My time at Hartpury
I did my diploma at Hartpury and at the end of that, I got a professional contract with Gloucester Rugby and also a scholarship to study for a Foundation Degree in Sports Business Management. I did my first year of my degree while playing with Gloucester Academy and when I stepped up into the first team, I continued my studies on a part-time basis. After graduating from my Foundation degree, I decided to top-up to the full Honours degree, which I’m also studying part-time. I’m not able to get to that many lectures but my tutors always make time for me and arrange tutorials when I need them. They understand that it’s tough for me to balance my studies with playing commitments, but the flexibility and support I receive is helping me to get a degree and ensure I have something to fall back on when I’ve finished playing. I’ve definitely had intense times where I have got to get home from training and smash out some revision or an assignment, but it’s all worthwhile.
What is it about Hartpury that makes it such a good environment to study and continue with your sport?
I couldn’t talk highly enough of it. You are training as a professional athlete every day and you are exposed to so many opportunities. If you want to take your rugby seriously and give it a go, you have got a real chance here. I honestly don’t think I’d be where I am now if I hadn’t come to Hartpury. It’s not as though you’re throwing all your eggs in one basket because if your rugby doesn’t work out, you are going to have a degree at the end of it. It’s the place to further your rugby and further yourself academically.
Using my degree in the future
Right now, rugby is my number one priority, but it can be a short career and I know that I’ll always have the security of a good education to fall back on. Hartpury is a great place to come if you’re an aspiring player in any sport, not just rugby. It allows you to combine playing at a high level while continuing to study. I think a degree is something that is universally recognised as a high level of academic achievement and it gives you that success and respect that helps you get the career you want. I’m not 100% sure what I want to do yet after rugby. Maybe when my degree is done I could do some coaching courses or get some work experience in the industry; so that when it all comes to an end, I’ll have built up a CV that can open doors for me.
course blog postSport
Sisters and former Hartpury students, Mathilda and Charlotte Hodgkins-Byrne, secured gold and silver as the College’s alumni shone on the world stage for Great Britain last weekend.
This course has been designed with extensive consultation with industry professionals and academic experts in the field. Our passionate staff spans business, sports industry practice and active research and can draw on ‘lived’ examples to illustrate key concepts. Our team supplements teaching expertise with key visiting guests & trips to sports venues and events.
Through a stimulating mixture of lectures, seminars, workshops, field trips and work placements, you are equipped with the knowledge and skills for success within the industry. 95% of our FdA students in 2012 successfully progressed to The BA (Hons) Sports Business Management on completion. Previous graduates of this programme have eventually attained equivalent grades on completion to those starting the BA(Hons) programme initially and have obtained careers in a wide range of roles such as:
- Sports Business Start up
- International Sports Agency
- England Netball – regional Co-ordinator
- International Sportsmen/women
- Professional League Rugby/Football
- Sports Sales & Marketing roles
- Media & Communications
- Sports & Leisure Facility Management
Additional industry qualifications are important to stand apart from the crowd and this course offers the chance to attain an industry recognised Institute of Leadership and Management Level 2 qualification within this degree – an opportunity unique to Hartpury!