Hartpury College

Visa Information


Immigration control in the UK affects everyone who is not a British/EU passport holder. The Home Office Visa and Immigration – Gov.UK is the Government department responsible for determining who may enter UK and for how long.

Hartpury College is a Home Office Highly Trusted Sponsor which means that we are registered and licensed to recruit international students.


If you are coming to study at Hartpury College/University Centre, from outside the European Union for more than 6 months you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, before you enter the UK. 

You will be eligible to apply for a visa if you achieve 40 points under the Points Based System (PBS), which are allocated as shown below:
• 30 points for having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from a Tier 4 sponsor
• 10 points for having enough money to cover course fees and monthly living costs (also known as ‘maintenance’)

Your CAS (not required if you are a British/EU passport holder) will be requested by Hartpury from the Home Office once you have been made an offer on a full time programme and 50% of tuition fees has been paid in acceptance of the offer. Your CAS number will be emailed to you in a 'CAS statement' which lists the information that Hartpury has sent to the Home Office. This email will also tell you our Tier 4 Licensed Sponsor number, name and address as well as confirmation of fees paid to date. For your visa application you will need original certificates or transcripts for the qualifications listed on your CAS statement – photocopies will not be accepted.

It is vital that anyone applying under Tier 4, reads the Tier 4 Policy Guidance carefully before submitting an application. The guidance provides detailed information on what evidence is accepted by the Home Office to support your application. Any documents you use must fully meet all of the requirements, using incorrect financial documentation is one of the main reasons for Tier 4 visa refusals.

Information on how to apply for a visa is available on the following link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

If you are attending a study abroad programme for a period less than 6 months then a tier 4 visa is not required and you can enter the UK on a student visitor visa. There are limitations based on student visitors, you cannot for example do any paid work (although you can do unpaid volunteering) and you cannot extend your stay. You must obtain your student visitor visa from a British Embassy in your home country before you travel to the UK.

Information on student visitors is available on the following link: https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa