Hartpury College

FE Student Financial Support

There are many funds available to assist you through your course at Hartpury College. The funds are means tested on the basis of household income, and include:

Learner Support Funds

  • Residential Support Funds are designed to provide students with financial help towards their accommodation costs where a similar course is not available within reasonable daily travelling distance, and where the household income is low. Please note that it is not usually available if you live on an existing college bus route. (For students on a designated course with a requirement to undertake duties outside teaching hours, these rules will not apply.)
  • Discretionary Bursary has been designed to assist students who need help with paying tuition fees, examination fees and other college fees. Financial assistance can sometimes also be given towards other direct costs such as meal award, books and course equipment.  Over 19's may also be able to receive help towards the cost of transport.
  • Childcare Support Fund: Having a child need not be a barrier to furthering your education. This fund can provide financial support towards the cost of any registered childcare, including nursery, crèche and childminder fees.
  • Career Development Loan (CDL): This loan is available to students aged over 18. The Career Development Loan is similar to a bank loan except that the payments are deferred until you have completed your period of study or training. This source of funding is not means tested. For more information call the National Careers line on 0800 100 900 or visit https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview.
  • Sports Bursary: Hartpury has a limited fund available from sponsorship income to assist those students who would otherwise be unable to attend college and who, in the opinion of the appropriate Sports Academy Director, have the potential to excel in his or her chosen field.Residential students on full-time sports courses at Hartpury College who believe they fulfil this requirement can apply for help with accommodation fees from this fund.
  • Benefits: If you are aged between 16 and 19 you may be able to get some financial support from Jobcentre Plus. Some benefits depend on particular circumstances, for example, if you are disabled, not well enough to work or are a parent. Other benefits are paid to you if you don’t have enough money to live on. You can find out more about making a claim by visiting your local Jobcentre or https://www.gov.uk/.
  • Charitable Trusts: Sometimes special bursaries and grants are awarded by various trusts and you should check out your local library to see if there is anything available in your area, or visit the College Learning Resources Centre for any information. If you have a disability you may be entitled to a Disabled Students’ Allowance, which is money to help with costs you incur when attending your course as a direct result of your disability. You won’t have to pay this back.

Extra financial help is also available for people who want to study and who have dependants. This includes the Parents’ Learning Allowance and the Childcare Grant. For more information visit the Gov.uk website at https://www.gov.uk/browse/education/student-finance.

Free Meals

16 to 18 year old students can apply for free meals at the college

Students will be eligible if their parent/carer qualifies for one of the following benefits:
• Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
• Income Support
• Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) provided the annual income, assessed by HMRC does not exceed £16,190 (please note: This amount is subject to change in April every year)
• Employment Support Allowance (Income Related)
• Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

For more details, or to apply please contact  the Student Finance Administrator  on 01452 702103 or email finance@hartpury.ac.uk.