If you want an introduction to working in the animal management industry, this course is designed to provide you with a good understanding of the skills and practical elements needed to care for animals.
You’ll work with the animals within our collection and learn in both a practical and theoretical way, caring for animals in a manner which meets health and welfare standards. This course is an excellent stepping stone to Level 3 education.
What you will study
The units listed below reflect the subjects currently offered on this course but are subject to change:
- Plan and monitor animal feeding
- Manage animal accommodation
- Maintain animal health and welfare
- Introduction to the principles and practices of animal behaviour and handling
- Introduction to animal breeds and grooming
- Understand the principles of animal biology
- Undertake work related experience in the land-based industries
Progression routes between courses
Level 2 course
On successful completion of this course at Merit or Distinction level, along with a suitable reference from a tutor, you are able to progress onto the Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Animal Management.
Once a foundation understanding of the animal management industry has been gained, it is possible to continue in other more specific fields offered at the College, for example, dog grooming or training as an animal nursing assistant.
Career opportunities include: kennel or cattery worker, pet shop assistant, veterinary assistant or receptionist and animal collection worker.