This course is perfect if you want an introduction to working in the animal management industry. The course is designed to provide you with a good understanding of the skills and practical elements needed to care for animals.
You’ll work with the range of animals within our collection and learn in both a practical and theoretical way, caring for animals in a manner which meets health and welfare standards. This course is also an excellent stepping stone to Level 3 education.
During this programme, you will also be expected to undertake a block of work experience which will allow you to broaden your knowledge, understanding and skills in practical industry live situations.
What you will study
The units listed below reflect the subjects currently offered on this course but are subject to change:
- Plan and monitor animal feeding
- Manage animal accommodation
- Maintain animal health and welfare
- Introduction to the principles and practices of animal behaviour and handling
- Introduction to animal breeds and grooming
- Understand the principles of animal biology
- Undertake work related experience in the land-based industries
Career and education opportunities
On successful completion of this course at Merit or Distinction level, along with a suitable reference from a tutor, you are able to progress onto the Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Animal Management.
Career opportunities include:
- Kennel or cattery worker
- Pet shop assistant
- Veterinary assistant or receptionist
- Animal collection worker