This one year course is for students who wish to pursue a career in the animal management industry and is the equivalent of 1 ½ A-Levels in one year.
This course will allow you to progress onto the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management (2nd Year) and therefore, equip you with the equivalent of 3 A-Levels in 2 years allowing further progression to university, should you wish to pursue that career pathway. Alternatively, as this course will equip you with a sound understanding and knowledge of animals both practically and theoretically, it will also position you well to move into the animal industry directly from its completion.
Our department is equipped with a plethora of animal species in order to provide you with experience and education of the animal sector; you will also gain valuable experience with further species such as farm livestock animals when visiting the farm and there is the opportunity to work with horses on the yard and dogs with hydrotherapy.
During this programme, you will also be expected to undertake a block of work experience which will allow you to broaden your knowledge, understanding and skills in practical industry live situations. Should you choose to progress onto the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management, you will be given the opportunity to engage with a study tour to Borneo allowing you the chance to observe the flora and fauna of a culturally rich and vibrant country.
What you will study:
- Understand and Promote Animal Health
- Understand Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Undertake Animal Handling and Safe Working
- Plan and Monitor Animal Feeding
- Manage Animal Accommodation
- Understand the Principles of Animal Nursing
- Understand and Interpret Animal Behaviour and Communication
- Understand the Principles of Aquatic Husbandry and Management
- Understand and Carry Out Farm Livestock Husbandry
- Understand the Principles of Zoological Animal Health and Husbandry
- Group Tutorial
- Non-Qualification Industry Preparation (Fit for Life)
On successful completion of this course and a suitable reference from a tutor, you are able to progress onto the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management or alternatively, you may decide that this is the time at which you wish to move into the world of employment and step into industry.
It is possible to continue in other more specific fields offered at Hartpury, for example dog grooming or training as a veterinary nurse.
Graduate destinations include:
- Pet shop owner
- Kennel or cattery worker
- Veterinary assistant
- Animal collection worker or technician
- Carer or warden within charity organisations such as the RSPCA or Blue Cross
- Dog handler or trainer.