This one year course is for students that have completed the Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma.
What you will study
The units listed below reflect the subjects currently offered on this course but are subject to change:
- Understand and interpret animal behaviour and communication
- Understand zoological animal health and husbandry
- Undertake and review work related experience in the land-based industries
- Understand animal nursing
- Understand the principles of animal biology
- Understand the principles of wildlife populations, ecology and conservation
During this programme of study, you will also be given the opportunity to attend a residential study tour to Borneo, where you can experience wild flora and fauna first hand within a biologically diverse environment and appreciate a culture very different to our own.
On successful completion of this course at Merit or Distinction level and a suitable reference from a tutor, you are able to progress onto the second year of the Level 3 Diploma in Animal Management.
It is also possible to continue in other more specific fields offered at the College, for example, dog grooming or training as a Veterinary Nurse.
Career opportunities include: kennel or cattery worker, pet shop manager, veterinary assistant or receptionist, animal collection worker or technician, carer or warden within charity organisations such as the RSPCA or Blue Cross and dog handler or trainer.