SPORT PERFORMANCE LABORATORIES
Our sport performance laboratory offers the latest equipment used by the industry, ensuring that students are at the forefront of the latest developments and research. It also support our elite athletes in maintaining their peak physical fitness. Working with a range of sports, including football, rugby and rowing, our staff and students use scientific tests to monitor athletes’ performance over the course of their time here. Our specialist equipment for teaching and research includes:
- A Cortex and Servomex gas analyser – used to determine an individual’s VO2 Max (lung capacity) and resting metabolic rate
- A Cybex isokinetic dynamometer – assesses an individual’s strength in a specific muscle or muscle group, joint or movement
- Speed/lighting gates for measuring running speed during fitness testing. They can also be used for measuring vertical jump height and reaction time.
- Nutritics nutritional software that assesses dietary intake and can identify deficiencies and optimal intakes
- Blood sampling analysers – for studying blood glucose, lactate, haematocrit and haemoglobin
- Anthropometrical equipment – to determine body fat and lean muscle mass
- Monark cycle ergometers and a woodway treadmill
- Force platform - for measuring the ground reaction forces generated by a person performing tasks such as running or jumping in order to assess the biomechanical aspect of their movement.