Emerging science and technology allows us to understand animal performance like never before. Training methods place priority on the physical and psychological needs of an animal to maximise wellbeing and performance.
You’ll learn from the latest advances in the field and use industry-standard technologies. Develop your expertise with access to our 70-species animal collection and benefit from our connections with animal trainers, scientists and behaviourists across the UK.
All training is underpinned by the strictest ethics and supported by the latest scientific evidence. This programme has been formally recognised by the ABTC Programme Recognition Committee as delivering the academic elements necessary for an individual to achieve ABTC recognition as an Animal Trainer (AT) and Animal Training Instructor (ATI). To become ABTC registered, a student will then need to undertake an assessment via an ABTC Practitioner Organisation.
- UCAS tariff points | A typical offer for this course is 112 UCAS tariff points or equivalent.
- GCSE | A minimum of 5 GCSE A* to C, (or 9 to 4 where numeric grades are being awarded) or equivalent, to include English Language, Mathematics and a Science.
- A-level | Typical offer is BBC or equivalent. This must include a minimum of two A-levels.
- Vocational Award | Typical offer is a DMM in an Extended Diploma or equivalent in a relevant subject.
- Access | Typical offer is 112 UCAS tariff points in an Access to Higher Education Diploma.
- IB | Typical offer is 112 UCAS tariff points in an IB Diploma, to include a minimum of two Highers at H3 or above. This must also include Maths and English Language at a minimum of Standard Level S3 if equivalent GCSEs have not been obtained.
- Scottish Highers | Typical offer is 112 UCAS tariff points in Scottish Highers. This must include a minimum of one Advanced Higher and one Higher.
- Irish leaving Certificate | Typical offer is 112 UCAS tariff points in the Irish Leaving Certificate. This must include a minimum of two Highers. This must also include Maths and English Language at a minimum of Ordinary Level.
- OCR Cambridge Technical | Typical offer is a DMM in a Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma in a relevant subject.
- T Level | Typical offer is Merit in your T Level overall grade in a relevant subject.
We may interview mature applicants and those with non-traditional qualifications to ensure this is the right course for you.
The minimum academic entry requirement for this programme is 80 UCAS tariff or equivalent providing this is combined with relevant experience.
Please contact us for further information.
Your support network
You'll benefit from a strong support network from day one to be the best you can be. This will range from your personal tutor and specialist academic support team (our Achievement and Success Centre) to dedicated wellbeing and employability (Innovation, Careers and Enterprise) centres.
You’ll have your own personal tutor while you’re here who will support you to succeed in your studies. You’ll also have access to our academic and wellbeing support teams who run regular workshops and one-to-one sessions on campus and online.
Alongside this, we have a comprehensive bank of online study skills resources to help you make the most of your qualification.
Your learning experiences
You'll experience a range of teaching methods to strengthen your digestion of topics, including lectures, workshops and practical sessions, as well as supported work placement learning as part of many courses.
Each year of your course will be made up of two semesters, within which you’ll study compulsory and optional modules on different industry-focused topics, enabling you to develop your own unique portfolio of knowledge, skills and experience, ready for your career. The course is taught in English.