Student Sports round-up for 28/01/2015


Hartpury produced a 100% record against Cardiff Met University this week as the university football second team increased their lead at the top of the BUCS Western 1A division to seven points with a 3-1 victory over second placed Cardiff Met’s first team.

The university third team thumped Cardiff Met’s seconds in a 6-1 win, and the rugby BUCS first team ensured a clean sweep against the Welsh university with a resounding 46-5 result against their firsts. You can read the full report here.

Elsewhere, the BUCS women’s rugby squad took on the University of South Wales Newport firsts, with a one-sided final score of 79-10 in Hartpury’s favour.

In football, the elite Under-19s first team made it through to the next phase of the ECFA Premier Cup after defeating Warwickshire College 4-0, while the Under-19s thirds put on a clinical scoring display with a 14-0 victory over South Staffordshire firsts in ECFA West Midlands 2C. On the recreational sport front, Hartpury Athletic played out a 0-0 draw with Southampton fourths in BUCS Western 5A.

The golfers were also in action this week in the fourth round of the British Schools and Colleges Tour. As a team they secured a second place finish at Hagley Golf Club, West Midlands. Hartpury duo Joe Harvey and Tom Davies finished top of the individual leaderboard with the latter’s round of 75 bettered only by Harvey, whose two over par round of 74 was enough for first place.

The college netballers continued their good form with victories for both sides, as the first team took on local side Chosen Hill in a friendly and secured a 23-15 win while the seconds progressed to the next round of the AoC National Plate after thrashing Petroc College seconds 67-12.

In college rugby, the Under-18s second and third XV squads took on Bicton College in a pair of friendlies away from home, with the seconds winning 31-11 and the thirds losing by a single point in a 30-29 result. The Under-18s fourths beat Loughborough College firsts 20-0 and the Acorns took on Shrewsbury School first team in a friendly, losing by a scoreline of 50-7.

Share this article