Student Sport Round-up 12.01.17


Hartpury’s sporting stars didn’t let the holiday break upset their rhythm and took to the pitches and courts with renewed energy this week.

Our footballers were the first team to kick off the new year, with the junior seconds gaining a win against Birmingham Met Sutton firsts in the ECFA Premier Cup after a close match. Both sides scored three goals apiece and with the game tied at the whistle it came down to a penalty shoot-out where Hartpury held their nerve to finish 4-1 up.

The junior thirds were in action against Birmingham Met seconds in the ECFA West Midlands League but were held to a 2-2 draw, which leaves them lying second in the table. There were goals aplenty for the fourths who had an impressive 9-2 win against Sandwell College in the ECFA National Cup, taking them through to round five of the knockout competition. Meanwhile the senior first team hosted Milton Keynes College in a friendly and kept a clean sheet to win 5-0.

Both junior netball teams who were in action had hard-fought matches and were unlucky to come away without a win between them. The firsts played Gower Swansea away and were beaten 42-31 while the seconds hosted Hereford Sixth Form and were edged out 34-29.   

Several junior rugby teams dusted off their boots and were back in action on Wednesday, although it wasn’t plain sailing for everyone. The seconds hosted Coleg y Cymoedd firsts in an AoC Premier League match but lost out 28-10, while the fifths struggled to gets points on the board against a strong Hereford Sixth Form team and were beaten 53-7.

It was a better day for the junior thirds who hosted group-leaders Richard Huish in the AoC Premier League and landed a valuable 52-22 victory. Further up the M5 the fourths were in action against Worcester Sixth Form in AoC West Midlands 1. They came away with a 27-15 win which leaves them at the top of the table after four games.

The junior ladies competed in a rugby 10s tournament held at Hartpury and showed their class by keeping a clean sheet in all of their matches. After defeating Filton 40-0 the girls faced Exeter and really got into their stride to win 55-0. They then lined up against Loughborough in the final but the game was stopped at half time due to injury with the score already at 33-0.

At the weekend Hartpury RFC remained imperious at the summit of National League 1 with an emphatic 66-24 win against Esher; read the full match report here. Gloucester-Hartpury Women also continued their tremendous winning streak in Championship Midlands 2, beating Shelford 86-7 and soaring 15 points clear in Championship Midlands 2; read the full match report here.

Share this article