Hartpury College is rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted
Hartpury College has been rated ‘outstanding’ in all areas by Ofsted, it was announced today.
The overall effectiveness of leadership and management, the quality of teaching, learning and assessment, and the 16-19 study programmes, including A-levels, all received the highest possible grade from the government’s education watchdog.
Personal development, behaviour and welfare, and outcomes for students at the specialist sports and land-based college were also rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted inspectors.
In its report released today, Ofsted highlighted a number of significant findings from its inspection last month, including:
- A very large proportion of students following vocational and technical courses in 2016/17 gained or exceeded the grades they were expected to achieve based on their starting points.
- A very high proportion of students studying at level 3 progress to university, further study or into work related to the subject they studied.
- The A-Level study programme provides a very valuable route for high-performing athletes to attain academic qualifications alongside developing their sporting expertise.
- The Hartpury College certificate reinforces learners’ preparation for work and is valued highly by them.
- Managers and staff have excellent links with employers in land-based and sports sectors provide invaluable works placements for all students. Many students gain full or part-time jobs as a result.
- Teachers are very well qualified and they use their specialist expertise well to ignite and foster their students’ curiosity and enthusiasm.
- Students attendance and punctuality at lessons and at their work placements is excellent, and their behaviour in college, in community activities and at work placements is exemplary.
- Students undertake well-planned and meaningful external work placements, which help them to understand the demands of their chosen careers.
- The very strong networks that staff maintain with employers in land-based and sports sectors provide invaluable work placements for all students. Many students gain full-time jobs or apprenticeships as a result.
- Students’ attendance and punctuality at lessons and at their work placements is excellent. Their behaviour in college, in community activities and at work placements is exemplary.
- Leaders have implemented a strong culture of safety that keeps students safe in potentially high-risk situations.
Hartpury Principal Russell Marchant said: “I am delighted that Hartpury has achieved Ofsted Outstanding.
“It is a tremendous achievement and recognition of our focus on students and all of the hard work staff and students have put in since the last inspection three years ago.
“We will continue to strive to improve outcomes for our students, achieving this recognition is part of our journey not a destination!”
Hartpury Vice-Principal FE Claire Whitworth said: “Staff have worked relentlessly to create a culture that provides an outstanding experience for our students.
“This enables students to not only achieve their potential in their academic qualification but also significant wider personal development and development of industry skills that provides them with a solid foundation and spring board to progress successfully into their chosen employment or university study.
“We are thrilled that this has been reflected in the recent Ofsted outcome.”
In the latest Department of Education League Table, Hartpury was:
- Highest Achieving Land-Based College in the UK* *all FE qualifications, all ages (DfE 2016/17)
- Highest Achieving Land-Based College in the UK for Level 3 Diplomas (DfE 2016/17)
- Highest Achieving Land-Based College in the UK for Apprenticeships (DfE 2016/17)
- Highest Achieving Land-Based College in the UK for Maths and English GCSEs A*- C (combined) (DfE 2016/17)