It’s been a busy start to the new academic year for Hartpury Sport with students past and present making an impact across a plethora of sports. Here’s a roundup of the latest news from Hartpury Sport.
- Hartpury University’s men and women faced Cardiff Met for their annual Kingsholm fixture on 2 November, with the women storming to a 44-12 victory and the men having a hard-fought draw 26-26 that went right down to the wire.
- A number of students from Hartpury College attended international camps over the half term break to brush up on their skills. For Wales - BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport (Rugby) students Alex Bosworth, Deian Gwynne, Ryan Jones, Caio James, Steff Jac Jones and Evan Minto. Ruben Cummings (Level 2 Extended Certificate Specialist Sport) For England - Sol Shand (BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport (Rugby). For Scotland - Elliott Southworth (BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport (Rugby)).
- Gloucester-Hartpury are set to play the Slater Cup against Leicester at Kingsholm this weekend (25 November) to raise awareness to the 4Ed campaign this weekend. This will be the first time the team have played since winning the premiership last season.
- Gloucester-Hartpury players and former Hartpury students helped England become inaugural WXV1 champions with a 33-12 win over world champions New Zealand in Auckland on 4 November.
- Nel Metcalfe, a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport (Rugby) student had her first start for Wales’ Women against New Zealand in the WXV competition at the end of October.
- Past and present Gloucester-Hartpury players have teamed up with former Hartpury students for the England Under 20 trials. These include Jorja Battishill, Evie Addy, Erin Bradley, Olivia Constable, Steph Else, Clara Grizzle-Johnson, Millie Hyett, Hannah Kibble, Sophie McQueen, Tilly Ryall, Lucia Scott, Tilly Smale, Lola Whitley, Izzy Winchcombe, Reneeqa Bonnar, Hannah Kibble and Agatha Joao.
- It may be a quiet time for the Hartpury Rowing Academy but Millie Hurrell (BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport (Physical Education and Coaching) and Catherine Gardner (A-levels) have been in action at the first indoor assessment for Great Britain’s Under 19 rowing team trials. Millie finished in 4th place while Katie finished in 12th overall. This sets the team up well as they prepare for the British Rowing Indoor Championships on 9 December.
- It was an October to remember for former Hartpury College student Mustapha Bundu (BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport - Football) who said his first goal for Plymouth Argyle is one of the best of his career. The 26-year-old Sierra Leone international blasted in a free-kick to give the Pilgrims the lead in their 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday. Manager Steven Schumacher said: "Since Mustapha's been in the building he's scored goals in training regularly. He's a really good striker of the ball, he's a good finisher, he hits it clean, similar to Morgan Whittaker. When they were standing over it (the free-kick) I was expecting Morgan to take it, but thankfully he didn't, Mustapha took it and smashed it in off the crossbar.”
- Hartpury College’s first team (JW1) won their regional football tournament on 18 October. They’ll head to the nationals for the first time in April.
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport and Exercise Science students Una Lue, Sky Hull and Isobel Kinsella made it through to phase two of the England College Trials, while Una Lue stepped up to the Cheltenham Town Ladies first team in the Women’s National League Tier 3.
- Isobel Kinsella plays alongside BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport and Exercise Science students Lexie North and Jodie Mcculloch in the Oxford United Women Development team who have now won 30 games on the bounce in the FAWNL Reserves League.
- Hartpury University’s women are currently in the BUCS Premier League (South) for the first year in Hartpury history for women’s football and are competing strongly, currently sitting 2nd in the table having played six games (won three, drawn twice and lost once).
- Hartpury University’s women are competing in the BUCS Premier League (South) for the second season in a row, currently sitting in third place with two wins from three games played.
- Eliot Baker (BA (Hons) Sport Business Management) represented England in the North of Ireland Championships at Royal Portrush and has recently been selected for the England Squad to receive coaching and support throughout the winter. Charlie Robb (BA (Hons) Sport Business Management) won the BUCS Welsh Trophy held at Conwy Golf Club. Sophie Page: BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Sciences student (also completed their BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport (Golf) at Hartpury College) recently represented Wales Girls in the home internationals at Lindrick Golf Club.
- Read more success stories from the Hartpury Golf Academy here.
- Hartpury College Netball is looking to back up an outstanding 2022/23 season, as they became champions for the 13th year and remain unbeaten at the county level since 2005. They’ll play in the South West Regionals Tournament in February to try and book a place back to the National Schools Championship where they finished runners up last year.
- The college first team are also current AoC (Association of Colleges) Regional West Midlands champions. They’ll head to the National Championships in April to represent the West Midlands at the National Championships
- Dressage rider Emily Dove (BSc (Hons) Bioveterinary Science) had a successful outing at Prestige Equestrian in October with her home-produced mare Jaguar DHI. Despite being relatively new to the level, they earned 67.21% and won their FEI Prix St Georges section, while also scoring 61.76% and finishing second in the Intermediate I.
- Hartpury University’s hockey team has started the season well, winning all three of their opening matches (7-3 against University of the West of England, 11-0 against Cardiff Met and 10-0 against Cardiff Met). They now progress through to the next round of the BUCS Conference Cup.
- Katie Reid (BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Sport and Exercise Science) was selected to attend the AoC National Trials and has subsequently been selected to represent the AoC National Hockey Team following attendance at the trial.
- It was a busy summer period for a couple of former Hartpury students who were a key part of the Modern Pentathlon Academy.
- Former students Charlie Brown (A-levels) and Lucie Hlavackova (BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma Sport - Fitness) competed at the modern pentathlon senior world championships hosted by the University of Bath over the summer. Lucie, who recently won a Paris 2024 Olympic Games quota spot, finished the championships in 20th place in semi-final A narrowly missing qualification to the final of the individual competition and then went on to win bronze in the mixed relay. Charlie made the men’s final and went on to finish in 17th place in the individual and won silver in the men’s team event.
Pictured: Sophie Page, Golf Academy player