Highly regarded by employers, apprenticeships can help you to progress your career, in an existing or completely new role. An apprenticeship can also be a valuable first step into an agricultural career, providing an ideal opportunity to ‘learn while you earn’.
What you need to know
- You’ll attend Hartpury College on a day-release basis, one day per week during term time, applying and developing your skills in your job role.
- The skills you develop will depend upon the type of farm at which you’re employed and the skills they need. We’ll tailor your learning to suit your own pathway.
- Assessment will be undertaken both at Hartpury and in your workplace, where you will be visited periodically by one of our expert tutors.
- An apprenticeship takes between 12-24 months to complete.
We offer two different apprenticeships covering livestock and arable farming, which reflect the skills employers need:
Level 2 General Farmworker Apprenticeship
As well as developing practical skills in areas such as technology, you'll operate independently and as part of a team as you work towards this GCSE-equivalent qualification. Candidates can specialise in crop or livestock production, supporting daily operations within the farm enterprise, maintaining and identifying any issues relating to animal and plant health. You'll also assist in key operational and administrative tasks including record keeping.
Level 3 Crop Technician Apprenticeship
Learners on this A-level-equivalent qualification will develop their skills across 24 months, preparing and cultivating sites for planting crops, harvesting and storing crops, and maintaining equipment and machines. You’ll develop your understanding of sustainable crop production, as well as important transferable skills including communication and management skills.
Alongside developing your agricultural skills, you’ll need to successfully complete the following qualifications and activities to achieve your apprenticeship award:
- Level 1 English and Maths
- Level 3 Emergency First Aid at Work
- Safe Use of Pesticides PA1&6
- Completion of practical evidence portfolio
Your final assessments will consist of:
- an online multiple-choice exam
- a practical demonstration
- a professional discussion