Highly regarded by employers, apprenticeships can help you to progress your career, in an existing or completely new role. An apprenticeship can also be a valuable first step into an agricultural career, providing an ideal opportunity to ‘learn while you earn’.
What you need to know
- You’ll attend Hartpury College on a day-release basis, one day per week during term time, applying and developing your skills in your job role.
- The skills you develop will depend upon the type of farm at which you’re employed and the skills they need. We’ll tailor your learning to suit your own pathway.
- Assessment will be undertaken both at Hartpury and in your workplace, where you will be visited periodically by one of our expert tutors.
- An apprenticeship takes between 18-24 months to complete.
We offer two different apprenticeships covering livestock and arable farming, which reflect the skills employers need:
Level 2 Stockman Standards Apprenticeship
Learners on this GCSE-equivalent qualification can specialise in beef, sheep or dairy farming, learning how to optimise animal wellbeing throughout different stages of their life cycle including animal productivity, health and welfare. You’ll have the opportunity to develop a range of practical skills including using technology, working independently and as part of a team.
Level 3 Crop Technician Apprenticeship
Learners on this A-level-equivalent qualification will develop their skills in preparing and cultivating sites for planting crops, harvesting and storing crops, and maintaining equipment and machines. You’ll develop your understanding of sustainable crop production, as well as important transferable skills including communication and management skills.
Alongside developing your agricultural skills, you’ll need to successfully complete the following qualifications and activities to achieve your apprenticeship award:
- Level 1 English and Maths
- Level 3 Emergency First Aid at Work
- Safe Use of Pesticides PA1&6
- Completion of practical evidence portfolio
Your final assessments will consist of:
- an online multiple-choice exam
- a practical demonstration
- a professional discussion