Providing proof of English language

English language requirements for international students

Are you an international student coming to Hartpury in September 2022?

Join our virtual International Pre-departure Briefing to ensure you are fully informed and prepared to start your studies in September.

All students need to possess a certain level of English language proficiency before studying with us. This is to ensure you will be successful in your studies and during your time in the UK. You may also need to provide proof of English language proficiency if you are applying for a visa.

The below table details our minimum English language proficiency requirements for all course levels. You may not need to provide proof of English language proficiency if you; are from a country where English is your first language, you studied a course in English such as GCSE English or completed a degree in a UK or majority English speaking country university.

Programme of StudyIELTS scoreTOEFL scoreCambridge Advanced English score
A Levels, Level 3 Diplomas and Access to Higher Education5.546-59165-170
Foundation degree6.060-78170-175
Undergraduate degree6.060-78170-175
Top-up programme6.060-78170-175
Postgraduate (most programmes, unless otherwise stated)6.579-93175-180

English language for your Student visa

Student visa English language requirements

An important part of your Student visa application is proving you possess a good standard of English.

You will need to prove your knowledge of English by passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from a approved provider.

You can find more information on IELTS and book a test on the British Council website.

Book your IELTS test

There are some countries listed as being exempt from proving your level of English language for a student visa. These countries can be found on UK government website.

GOV.UK: Knowledge of English

Your journey

Our dedicated International team will support you through every step of your university journey – from initial enquiry to enrolment and graduation. They’ll guide you through living and learning in the UK, making your application, visas, student finance, accommodation and much more.